Friday, November 23, 2012

Enabling UTF-8 in FreeBSD

Note: this post is just a note to myself so I do not forget how to enable UTF-8 in FreeBSD.

I have not realized until today that FreeBSD does not enable UTF-8 by default, even though it is capable.   I  joined some IRC channels with German speakers some time ago and I always knew there was something wrong in the encoding but I was too lazy to fix it.

Today I had a few minutes to play with the settings in my Screen/Irssi configuration and I could not manage to make it work It is really frustrating... In fact, it was only working when UTF-8 was disabled in Screen, that is a good symptom.

After wondering for a while, a thought it could be the case that the problem comes from the locales, because (in theory) UTF-8 should be enabled everywhere. No!! It was not enabled in my FreeBSD box at home. Searching in Google I found this post explaining the steps.

The charset has to be enabled during the login process. This means we have to change /etc/login.conf or ~/.login_conf . Since I am only interested in having UTF support in the account running Irssi, I made the change there instead of making a global change.

The config is so easy. Edit  .login_conf in your Home directory.


Once this is done, it will only apply to new login sessions, so you have to exit Irssi and also close the Screen session.

No comments:

Post a Comment